Our academics lead globally recognised research, teaching and collaboration. Our professional, administrative and support staff create a world-class working environment and enable academics to continue achieving internationally renowned excellence in research and teaching. All of our committed staff, who continually strive for better, are central to why FBE is a great place to work.
FBE Strategic Vision
The 2015-2020 FBE Strategic Plan outlines our vision to be a leading global provider of business and economics education and research; to critically evaluate and influence policy design, corporate governance, and business practices; and to secure the best possible outcomes for our stakeholders and for the broader societies in which we operate.
Professor Margaret Abernethy says she loves her job and is passionate about sharing her knowledge and insights with others through teaching and research.
Recently, she founded the Melbourne Centre for Corporate Governance and Regulation to create opportunities for others in the Department and to deliver important insights for accounting professionals and industry bodies.
Teaching and Learning
We strive to be the first-choice university in the region for the study of business and economics. By 2020 all of our programs will have passed through a cycle of extensive review and refinement, ensuring they are aligned with our desired graduate attributes and learning goals. New interdisciplinary programs are being rolled out in collaboration with University colleagues and through strategic partnerships with leading international schools. Blended and wholly on-line initiatives will be phased in and professional development for our academics will ensure these are delivered to the highest standard. Student load will be managed to ensure the imperative to grow does not compromise the quality of our student cohort, their diversity or of the programs we offer.
Our staffing and teaching and learning plans will require new physical capacity, including office space to house academic staff and state-of-the-art blended learning classrooms.
We are committed to:
- providing formal mentoring of new recruits by senior staff
- delivering routine reviews of all programs to promote continuous improvement
- providing mobility opportunities through a comprehensive partnerships strategy
- aligning confirmation and promotion to provide fast-track career progression for high-quality staff
- offering greater flexibility in workforce classifications
- investing in academic office space and state-of-the-art blended learning classrooms
FBE is the leading business and economics research entity in Australia, with a solid reputation for research quality, collaboration, engagement and impact. To sustainably improve our position, an intensified outward-oriented collaboration strategy will see formalised cooperation with other leading national and international research teams. This will take the form of increased inter-disciplinary research within the University of Melbourne in discipline areas such as Psychology and Health Sciences, in which there are natural overlaps with FBE, as well as more intensive collaborations with other like-minded leading research institutions internationally.
Leadership, Service and Engagement
FBE is dedicated to the overall influence of academic work, including academic excellence, originality and recognition, as well as impact, adoption, benefits and influence, within and beyond the Faculty.
We strongly encourage the development of new leadership skills and knowledge, as well as engaging with communities, industry and government embedded with teaching, research and research training, leadership and service.
We value our people and are passionate about supporting them to realise their potential through clear career pathways, targeted performance development and access to tailored, professional development programs.
- FBE is family-friendly and promotes flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. We have a number of initiatives to help you work in different ways including options to work varied hours, part-time, and away from the office. We also offer generous leave to assist you to manage your life outside of work.
- Eligible staff of the university are able to pay their child care fees at the university's children's centres through salary packaging. We have a number of locations including Queensberry Street, Swanston Street and the Family Club Co-operative.
Health and wellbeing
- Subsidised Fitness Members rates including the unlimited use of the pool and gym, and staff rates for court bookings
- Bicycle friendly, with over 2,100 bicycle parks available at the Parkville campus
- Discounted rates for massage and physiotherapy
- Discounts for medical, optometry and dental treatment, veterinary services, and health insurance
- Free, confidential counselling services through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Free staff influenza vaccination program
- FBE health and wellbeing program including massage and pilates classes
- Option to salary sacrifice, including car parking, myki cards, electronic devices and child care
Personal and professional development
- 25% off full-fee graduate courses and community access program subjects at the University, and discounts for family members
- Valuable training opportunities for female academics through the Academic Women In Leadership Program
- Tailored training and professional development for both senior executives and managers to support career progression
- A suite of practical training tools and materials available to all employees
Exceptional teaching and learning support
- Williams Centre for Learning Advancement provide training, workshops and customised solutions to improve the learning experience for staff and students
- Professional staff support for academic staff
- Professional development programs offered by the Melbourne Centre for the Study of Higher Education
- State of the art lecture theatres
Other resources and services
- Beautiful and historic campus locations on the fringe of Melbourne CBD
- Easy access to public transport including trams and Melbourne Central train station
- Discounted parking across three locations at Parkville
- Savings on theatre tickets and subscriptions at Melbourne Theatre Company
- Access to 11 libraries (including the Giblin Eunson Business and Economics library), ten museums and galleries, 37 cultural collections, University House and other university clubs and networks
- On-site superannuation advice with UniSuper
We are passionate about fostering an inclusive environment which reflects the diversity of the students who study here, where everyone can be their authentic self, and where diversity is celebrated as a strength.
We are committed to ensuring that you feel safe, included and engaged every day you set foot on campus. At FBE, we embrace the diversity of our staff and students. Differences in age, race, gender, cultural heritage, sexual orientation, physical ability and background bring a wonderful richness to our campus.
Explore our teams and meet our research and teaching staff.
There’s room in FBE for every talent – and talent from almost everywhere. We provide the opportunities, benefits and a working culture that enable you to further your career. We would love for you to join us.
How we Hire
We have established processes that create a positive experience for prospective staff. We aim to provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about career opportunities with us. We also provide with you the opportunity to showcase your expertise and experience.
Read more about the stages in a typical application process.
Key selection criteria can be found in every position description and must be addressed when applying for a position. Find out more about addressing the selection criteria.
Overseas Applicants & Australian Work Rights
If you are from overseas and considering moving to Australia to work, there are online resources to assist you with your planning. For more information about living and working in Melbourne see below additional information about what Melbourne is all about!
All employees of the University of Melbourne are required to have Australian work rights and will be required to provide certified copies of documents showing these.
To assist you with moving to Melbourne, we are often able to provide financial relocation assistance to help you with your move. You may wish to use this for flights, moving your furniture or engaging with Elite, our executive relocation provider who can assist with things such as school searches and orientation to Melbourne.
The University of Melbourne is committed to increasing the employment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across all academic and professional occupation categories. Find out more about building your career.
We are passionate about ensuring that your onboarding in to FBE life is seamless. We will be in regular contact prior to you commencing at the University to ensure that everything is organised prior to your commencement. As well as local induction and onboarding with your new team, the Faculty provides a comprehensive half or full day induction to help orientate you to FBE. There is also a full day University wide orientation which includes an enjoyable tour of our beautiful campus.
Living and working in Melbourne
The Parkville campus is located in the heart of Melbourne - one of the world's most liveable cities boasting culturally diverse communities.
- Reliable and easy to navigate public transport system of trams, trains and buses
- Major events such as the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, White Night, Australian Open Tennis, and Australian Rules Football
- European-style cafe and restaurant culture