The Economic Theory and Experiments Unit is jointly operated by the Department of Economics and the Melbourne Business School at the University of Melbourne.
The objectives of the Unit are:
- to promote research of the highest standard in all areas of economic theory
- to be a focus within Australia for research in economic theory
- to facilitate both national and international affiliations and research linkages
- to facilitate the training of research students, and the exchange of doctoral and postdoctoral students
- to be a focus for external research funding
- to run conferences, workshops and advanced short courses for research students
- to publish occasional monographs and proceedings.
The Department of Economics at the University of Melbourne provides office space, and day to day administrative support for the program and the Director. Otherwise the Unit is entirely self funded, through external funds brought in by its members, and it has operated without any direct financial support from the University. The Unit acknowledges the assistance of the Australian Research Council, through its Discovery and Linkage Programs, for support to research projects undertaken within the Unit, and for support to its academic programs.