Successful, high-performing applicants are awarded an annual stipend and full tuition fee remissions.
FBE Doctoral Program Scholarship
For Business and Economics 5-year Doctoral Programs only
Full funding to cover the 2-year coursework component.
The Faculty of Business and Economics Doctoral Program Scholarship (FBE-DPS) supports domestic and international graduate researchers during their two-year specialist Master of Commerce coursework preceding enrolment in the Faculty's Doctor of Philosophy (Business and Economics).
This scholarship is awarded on academic merit. Applicants for a 5-year doctoral program are normally required to meet the course equivalent of a University of Melbourne First-Class Honours (80% or H1) weighted average mark (WAM) to be competitive. Information on the University's grading scheme is available on our results page.
- A stipend for living expenses, paid quarterly (the first payment is issued after the semester coursework census date)
- Full tuition fee remission for the Master of Commerce
- A Relocation Grant, usually paid together with the first stipend payment, to help with the cost of moving:
- $2000 for students moving to Melbourne from states or territories other than Victoria or
- $3000 for students moving to Melbourne from overseas
- To qualify for the relocation grant, applicants:
- must have been living interstate or overseas at the time they applied for the FBE Doctoral Program;
- must not have studied at any Victorian institutions for a period of 12 months prior to applying for the FBE Doctoral Program, and
- must relocate to Melbourne to commence their FBE Doctoral Program. The grant is usually included in the first payment of the stipend.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Singles student visa-length cover (this is provided by the Scholarships Office with the University's preferred OSHC provider and covers the full 5-year Doctoral Program).
- Please visit the University's Graduate Coursework Scholarships page for important enrolment-related conditions of this scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients are required to formally acknowledge the source of their funding on the public dissemination of all research outputs developed during their specific course of study.
- Graduate researchers who meet their coursework hurdle and progression requirements for the PhD will be issued a graduate research scholarship offer of a stipend and full fee remission to commence the Faculty's Doctor of Philosophy (Business and Economics). This scholarship will replace the coursework FBE Doctoral Program Scholarship and coverage is normally for the duration of the graduate research course. Details on graduate research scholarships can be found below.
Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships
The University of Melbourne offers graduate research scholarships for a range of purposes including living stipends, fee remissions (tuition fees), research-related travel and top-ups. These scholarships are only available for those students who have been made an offer of a place in a graduate research masters or doctorate course.
FBE Eligibility for Graduate Research Scholarships
Applicants for the following programs are eligible and automatically considered for these scholarships:
- Actuarial Studies, Analytics and Business Administration doctoral programs
- Joint PhD programs
Five-year doctoral program applicants are automatically considered for these scholarships upon successful completion of their coursework component of their program.
There are two main graduate research scholarship funding sources for Faculty of Business and Economics graduate researchers:
The Australian Government's Research Training Program
The Research Training Program (RTP) supports domestic and overseas students undertaking research doctorate and research masters degrees.
Visit the RTP Frequently Asked Questions page for students on the Department of Education website
University of Melbourne Graduate Research/Melbourne Research Scholarships
These scholarships provide living stipends, fee remissions and single Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for a research masters or research doctorate at Melbourne.
Other Scholarships for Graduate Researchers
Australia Awards Scholarships
This scholarship is offered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to applicants from participating countries. The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop the skills and knowledge of individuals to drive change and contribute to development in their own countries.
FBE doctoral program applicants must check for 5-year doctoral program admission requirements for their chosen discipline beforehand.
China Scholarship Council-University of Melbourne PhD Scholarships
This scholarship supports high-performing international students with an unconditional offer to study a PhD at the University of Melbourne.
FBE doctoral program applicants must check for 5-year doctoral program admission requirements for their chosen discipline beforehand