International Business Experience (IBUS20007) provides students with a broad overview of business and economics in an international context. Students undertake a substantive international learning experience.
The Faculty of Business and Economics works in collaboration with specific partner universities globally to develop and deliver the subject content. The international experience is typically two to three weeks in duration. All assessment tasks are determined and graded by the University of Melbourne Subject Coordinator.
Partners who have previously participated in this subject include: National Chengchi University (Taiwan); Singapore Management University (Singapore); Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China); Tsinghua University (China); and the University of Delhi (India). International destinations differ by semester (summer/winter intensive only).
View this subject in the Handbook.
Note: An additional program fee applies for this subject.
Vietnam Summer Study Tour – November 2022 [12.5 points]
- Spend two weeks participating in a study tour program focused on business and economics in Vietnam and learn about the complexities of managing organisations in countries transitioning to market-based economies.
- Attend a series of lectures at FPT University Vietnam.
- In teams, work on a company-based project within a Vietnamese organisation, under the guidance of a company representative and an academic mentor.
- Learn about Vietnamese culture by participating in social and cultural activities with your Vietnamese student buddies from FPT University.
- Assessment tasks include: a reflective journal, research essay, and a group presentation.
New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants
New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility Grants support Australian undergraduate students to study (including virtual study) and intern in the Indo-Pacific region.
There are $2,500 NCP Mobility Grants available for the November 2022 study tour in Vietnam.
Eligible students will automatically be considered for an NCP grant. Eligibility requirements are:
- You must be an Australian citizen
- You must be aged between 18 and 28
- You must not hold dual citizenship with the host country or have residency rights in the host country (i.e., Vietnam or India, as applicable)
- You must not have previously received NCP funding for a short-term mobility subject
Vietnam Program - November 2022
|Information session||Thursday 18 August 2022, 5.15pm AEST (Level 1 Lecture Theatre, The Spot)|
|Applications open||Monday 15 August 2022|
|Applications close||Sunday 11 September 2022, 11.59pm AEDT|
|Selection outcomes||Tuesday 13 September 2022|
|Offer acceptance and $200 program deposit due||Monday 19 September 2022|
|Introductory briefing (successful candidates)||Thursday 22 September 2022, 5.15pm AEST (5.015, Level 5, The Spot)|
|Vietnam pre-departure workshop (Attendance required)||Saturday 19 November 2022 (Time and location TBC)|
|Vietnam Study Tour dates||Arrival: Sunday 27 November 2022|
Program: Monday 28 November – Friday 9 December 2022
Departure: Saturday 10 December 2022
International Business Experience is available as an elective to all Bachelor of Commerce students from all majors.
Students must have completed at least 100 credit points prior to subject commencement.
There are a limited number of places available in this subject. Students will be selected based on their:
- Weighted average mark
- Short statements that address your motivation for applying for the study tour program.
All students must also submit a brief one-page CV.
An Information Session was held on Thursday 18 August 2022, 5.15pm AEST online.
Applications for International Business Experience Vietnam November 2022 are now closed.
Vietnam Program - November 2022
|Assessment Activity||Due date|
|Reflective journal||1 week after the end of teaching|
|Research Essay||6 weeks after the end of teaching|
|Group presentation||End of teaching period|
If you have any questions about International Business Experience, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will it cost?
In addition to the standard University subject fee, there is an additional program fee of between $1,500-$2,000 including a $200 deposit to secure your place (non-refundable).
What is included?
- 13 nights bed and breakfast (twin share accommodation)
- Some other meals
- Company visits
- Program excursions and tours
What is not included?
- International airfare