International Business Experience
International Business Experience (IBUS20007) provides students with a broad overview of business and economics in an international context. Students undertake a substantive international learning experience.
The Faculty of Business and Economics works in collaboration with specific partner universities globally to develop and deliver the subject content. The international experience is typically two to three weeks in duration. All assessment tasks are determined and graded by the University of Melbourne Subject Coordinator.
Partners who have previously participated in this subject include: National Chengchi University (Taiwan); Singapore Management University (Singapore); Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China); Tsinghua University (China); and the University of Delhi (India). International destinations differ by semester (summer/winter intensive only).
View this subject in the Handbook.
Note: An additional program fee applies for this subject.
We are intending to run this subject over summer 2023/2024 (November/January deliveries) in either India, Indonesia or Vietnam. While we are unable to provide any specific details at this time on when and where, the Faculty will have NCP mobility grants available to support student participation in all locations. Please keep checking back for updates or contact us below.
Vietnam Summer Study Tour (12.5 points)
- Spend two weeks participating in a study tour program focused on business and economics in Vietnam and learn about the complexities of managing organisations in countries transitioning to market-based economies.
- Attend a series of lectures at FPT University Vietnam.
- In teams, work on a company-based project within a Vietnamese organisation, under the guidance of a company representative and an academic mentor.
- Learn about Vietnamese culture by participating in social and cultural activities with your Vietnamese student buddies from FPT University.
- Assessment tasks include: a reflective journal, research essay, and a group presentation.
New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants
New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility Grants support Australian undergraduate students to study (including virtual study) and intern in the Indo-Pacific region.
There are $2,500 NCP Mobility Grants available for the tour.
Eligible students will automatically be considered for an NCP grant. Eligibility requirements are:
- You must be an Australian citizen
- You must be aged between 18 and 28
- You must not hold dual citizenship with the host country or have residency rights in the host country (i.e., Vietnam or India, as applicable)
- You must not have previously received NCP funding for a short-term mobility subject
International Business Experience is available as an elective to all Bachelor of Commerce students from all majors.
Students must have completed at least 100 credit points prior to subject commencement.
There are a limited number of places available in this subject. Students will be selected based on their:
- Weighted average mark
- Short statements that address your motivation for applying for the study tour program.
All students must also submit a brief one-page CV.
If you have any questions about International Business Experience, please email email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will it cost?
In addition to the standard University subject fee, there is an additional program fee of between $1,500-$2,000 including a $200 deposit to secure your place (non-refundable).
What is included?
- 13 nights bed and breakfast (twin share accommodation)
- Some other meals
- Company visits
- Program excursions and tours
What is not included?
- International airfare