Due to the evolving impacts and uncertainty resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, the International Business Experience (IBUS20007) India Study Tour will not be offered in Summer 2021. This page will be updated with new information when available and updates will be announced in the BCom Newsletter.
International Business Experience (IBUS20007) provides students with a broad overview of business and economics in an international context. Students undertake a substantive overseas learning experience.
The Faculty of Business and Economics works in collaboration with specific partner universities globally to develop and deliver the subject content. The overseas experience is typically two to three weeks in duration. All assessment tasks are determined and graded by the University of Melbourne Subject Coordinator.
Partners who have previously participated in this subject include: National Chengchi University (Taiwan); Singapore Management University (Singapore); Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China); Tsinghua University (China); and the University of Delhi (India). International destinations differ by semester (summer/winter intensive only).
India Summer Study Tour
Students participating in the summer study tour will:
- Spend two weeks on a study tour of Delhi visiting government and non-government agencies as well as Indian corporations
- Visit an Indian university and meet and learn from current business students
- Work intensively with a Faculty Academic Mentor
- Participate in excursions and cultural activities
- Free time also included to enjoy the delights of Delhi
- Assessment tasks to be completed include: a reflective journal, research essay and a group presentation.
Please note that an additional program fee applies to this subject.
A large number of $,3000 New Colombo Plan grants are available to support study in this subject (available to Australian citizens).
Key dates will be added for the next offering of International Business Experience when they have been set.
International Business Experience is available as an elective to all Bachelor of Commerce students from all majors.
Students must have completed at least 100 credit points prior to departure.
Due to a limited number of places, entry into International Business Experience is competitive. Students will be selected based on:
- Their minimum weighted average mark - the indicative WAM based on prior applications is 65-70%
- Their resume
- A short statement that demonstrates their interest in undertaking this subject.
|Reflective journal due||1 week after the end of teaching|
|Individual research essay due||5 weeks after the end of teaching|
|Group presentations||4 weeks after the end of teaching|
Grants, scholarships and funding
Please note that different funding options are available to eligible students depending on the year and intake. We will confirm funding availability at the Information Sessions.
New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants
The New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility Grants support Australian undergraduate students to study and intern in the Indo-Pacific region.
There are $3,000 NCP Mobility Grants available for the summer study tour.
Eligible students will automatically be considered for a NCP grant.
Eligibility requirements are:
- You must be an Australian citizen
- You must be aged between 18 and 28
- You must not hold dual citizenship with the host country or have residency rights in the host country
- You must not have previously received NCP funding for a short-term mobility subject
Note: Students who are awarded NCP funding are ineligible to also receive a Melbourne Mobility Award.
OS-HELP loans are available to students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) in a degree course who want to undertake part of their study overseas.
Financial Aid may be available to students in need. Find out more.
Preparing your application
The University offers a range resources, workshops and information sessions to assist you with preparing a quality CV, strengthening your interview skills and much more. Places are limited and sessions fill quickly so book early.
Student Services workshops and information sessions.
Applications are currently closed. A link to the application form will be posted here when applications open.
If you have any questions about International Business Experience, please email email@example.com.
View this subject in the Handbook.
Frequently asked questions
How much will it cost?
In addition to the standard University subject fee, there is an additional program fee of between $2,000 - $2,200 including a $200 deposit to secure your place (non-refundable).
What is included?
- 13 nights bed and breakfast (twin share accommodation)
- Some meals
- Company visits
- Program excursions and tours
What is not included?
- International airfare
- Visa (if required)
- Some meals