Your mentor could expand your horizons, build your skills and help you land your dream job after uni.
This program, which matches students and industry experts, runs annually from April to October. Applications for 2021 will open in March.
“A mentorship is going to be a unique experience for each pair. My advice is to go into it open-minded, have concepts you want to explore but no strict expectations of how you want it to be. The more you put in, the more you will get out of it.”
Charlotte Hamilton, Career Mentoring Program
Why join the program?
Your mentor can offer insight into your chosen field and help out with matters like finding the right career path, networking effectively and making your applications stand out.
Previous mentors include partners of accounting firms, directors of management consultancies, bankers and senior public servants.
By being involved in this program, you will have the opportunity to:
- better understand your skills, motivations and career preferences,
- identify and develop your career strategy,
- learn about different professions and industries,
- increase your networking circle,
- develop your communication, presentation and networking skills, and
- improve your CV and your interviewing technique.
The matching process
This is a popular program and selection is competitive, with students required to complete a screening process. We also ask mentors to register online so we understand their background, experience and skills to ensure we make good matches.
- When matching mentors and mentees, we look at areas of study, professional experience, and interest areas of both individuals and try to match accordingly.
- Please note: Selection of students to participate in the Career Mentoring Program is at the discretion of the Faculty of Business and Economics. The Faculty of Business and Economics has the right to, at its sole discretion, terminate or revoke the invitation to the mentor or mentee.
How to apply
Hint: to improve your application skills we recommend you attend the FBE Skills Workshops.
To apply, please read the Career Mentoring Program Application Handbook. The handbook outlines tasks you will have to complete to apply for the program.
Applications for the 2021 program will open in March 2021.
The program runs on a yearly cycle from April until October with the approximate time-frames as follows:
- Early March: Applications open
- Early April: Applications close
- Mid April: Mentoring application outcomes announced
- Mid April: Virtual mentee training session (compulsory)
- End of April: Virtual mentor-mentee introductory meet-up
- Early May: Virtual professional networking session
- May to October: Meetings with mentor
- Mid August: Industry Insights #1 - Panel discussion
- September: Virtual Networking Events
- Late October: Industry Insights #2 (program closing event) - Panel discussion
Further questions? email@example.com