This level 3 consulting subject gives Bachelor of Commerce students the opportunity to gain valuable applied industry experience. Currently, Global Management Consulting (GMC) is offered as a remote or in-country learning experience, collaborating with team members in a virtual global team on a realistic business scenario posed by an overseas company. Students will receive guidance from their academic and their company mentor.
Upcoming intakes are May 2023 and October 2023.
By completing this subject, you will:
- Gain experience in management consulting and learn more about important consulting skills
- Address and solve a realistic business problem set by an international organisation
- Develop practical employability and enterprise skills
- Learn to effectively collaborate in a global team spread across countries and time zones
- Gain remote project management experience that might be attractive to future employers
View this subject in the Handbook.
“Throughout my project experience, I learned a lot and gained new employability skills which have helped prepare me for my career. Adapting to uncertainty is vital in the ever-changing global environment. With COVID-19 continuing to accelerate digital transformations, the virtual project experience provided a great opportunity to engage with international organisations adapting to the current business environment.”
Eriksson Luo, Global Management Consulting at Telekom Malaysia
Students offered a place in Global Management Consulting are required to participate in all listed activities. If you are unable to commit to one or more of these dates, please do not apply.
May 2023 and October 2023
|Activity||May 2023 (Travel - locations Berlin and Kuala Lumpur)||October 2023 (Travel - locations Bangkok and Dubai)|
|Applications open||Monday, 27 February 2023||Monday, 24 July 2023|
|Q&A session||Wednesday, 8 March 2023||Wednesday, 2 August 2023|
|Careers and Employability "Smart Resume demonstration"|
video to help you reach the green zone
|Access here||Access here|
|Applications close||Sunday, 19 March 2023||Sunday, 13 August 2023|
|Selection outcomes||Tuesday, 4 April 2023||Tuesday, 29 August 2023|
|Introductory Briefing session||Tuesday, 18 April 2023||Tuesday, 12 September 2023|
|LMS modules due||Sunday , 25 June 2023||Saturday, 18 November 2023|
|Induction workshop||Saturday, 24 June 2023||Saturday, 18 November 2023|
|Students arrive in country||Wednesday, 28 June 2023||Wednesday, 22 November 2023|
|In-company||29 June - 12 July 2023||23 Nov - 6 Dec 2023|
|Students depart country||Thursday, 13 July 2023||Thursday, 7 December 2023|
Global Management Consulting is available as an elective to Bachelor of Commerce students from all majors or as part of the management major.
We are looking for a diverse group of students who will be ambassadors for the University of Melbourne. Entry is competitive as there are limited places available in each intake. The below criteria should help you determine whether you would be a strong candidate for Global Management Consulting. Please note that all entry requirements must be fulfilled to be considered:
- Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 70% or higher. Due to limited spaces, entry into Global Management Consulting is competitive. The minimum WAM requirement is 70% obtained at the University of Melbourne. Grades from subjects taken at another institution will not be considered. The Selection Committee considers the following when allocating places:
- Academic performance
- Responses to application question(s)
- An overall match of skills, experience and interests to the available project
- You have completed a minimum of 175 points at the commencement of the subject, including MGMT20001 Organisational Behaviour.
- You have not previously taken MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting or MGMT30012 Management Consulting. Students are not eligible to take both Management Consulting and Global Management Consulting within their degree.
- Actuarial Students seeking to apply for Global Management Consulting must seek course advice from Stop 1 prior to applying.
The information session for the May 2023 intake of Global Management Consulting will be held Wednesday, 8 March 2023.
Grants, scholarships and funding
Global Management Consulting Travel Grant
The Faculty of Business and Economics will provide a $1,000 grant to all students participating in the January 2023 intake of this program to assist with travel costs.
The John D. and Dagnija Balmford Travel Grant
Available through the generosity of John D. and Dagnija Balmford, we have up to 6 grants to the value of $3,000 each available to 2nd or 3rd year Bachelor of Commerce students who would benefit from additional financial support to undertake Global Management Consulting in January 2023.
To be considered for the Balmford Travel Grant, applicants must meet each of the following criteria:
- be a domestic student
- have successfully completed at least 175 points of the Bachelor of Commerce; and
- are enrolled in the 2nd year or 3rd year of the Bachelor of Commerce;
- are intending on taking MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting in January 2023 and have submitted an application; and
- meet the financial criteria as defined by Access Melbourne requirements. This includes being in receipt of Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance, if your parents receive Family Tax Benefit A or you can demonstrate a financial need.
How to apply and what’s the process:
- Apply for MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting via the online form in the “How to apply” section below indicating the January 2023 intake as one of your preferences.
- Apply for the Balmford Travel Grant via the online form emailed to students who have applied for the January intake of GMC once applications close on Sunday, 7 August 2022. This includes uploading evidence proving your financial situation (e.g. a Centrelink statement) and a 500 word written Scholarship Impact Statement on how the potential travel grant could impact your ability to participate in a global experience program.
- Students who are offered a place in MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting January 2023 who also applied for the Balmford Travel Grant will have their eligibility reviewed by the Selection Panel. The Selection Panel will be made up of the Manager Student Experience and Experiential Learning and the Scholarships officer.
- Recipients of the Balmford Travel Grant will be notified via their student email.
Student Financial Aid
A range of funding available usually in the form of interest-free loans. Please see the Financial aid website for more information.
Available to students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) in a degree course who want to undertake part of their study overseas. Find out more here.
Preparing your application
How to apply
Login to Sonia Live using your University of Melbourne student credentials: https://unimelb.sonialive.com/.
Click on Faculty of Business and Economics.
Click on the Placements tab on the menu bar at the top of the page and search for Global Management Consulting.
Please note that Global Management Consulting will only appear in the Placements screen if applications are currently open for an upcoming intake. If the subject does not appear in the list, it is likely that applications have not yet opened or have already closed. Check the key dates section above to find out when applications are open for this intake.
Click the green + Join option. This will give you access to the subject application form which can be found on the Forms tab. You may need to refresh your browser for this to appear.
Complete all fields of the application form and click submit. Please ensure you take note of the application due date as we do not accept late submissions.
After the closing date, applications will be shortlisted and applicants will be emailed an outcome within 5 working days.
If you remove yourself from the GMC Placement group we will take this as an application withdrawal.
If you have any questions about Global Management Consulting please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently asked questions
Which is better, the Global Management Consulting or an internship?
How many applicants usually apply for Global Management Consulting?
Can I choose my team mates? Can I choose the company or project?
When will I be told what team and project I am allocated to?
How much does it cost?
The cost of Global Management Consulting is a standard University subject. However, there will be additional costs associated with the travel component of the January 2023 GMC for accommodation, flights, meals, and other incidental travel expenses. More detail about specific costs will be provided to students in the coming weeks.
The Faculty of Business and Economics will provide a $1,000 grant to all students participating in the January 2023 GMC to assist with travel costs.
I want to take a subject over the summer/winter while also completing the GMC (e.g. Commerce Internship). Is this okay?
No, students participating in the GMC will not be permitted to enrol in any other subjects that run during the same dates. GMC is intensive and requires 100% commitment from students.