The Centre has produced a series of Tutor Training Guides specifically aimed at new tutors in the Faculty.
These guides are intended to be useful sources of ideas and advice for good tutoring practice, based on sound educational principles and research.
- FBE Policy: Tutor roles and responsibilities
- How to plan, structure, and facilitate a tutorial
- How to start your first tutorial
- Activities to use in tutorials
- Teaching international students
- Tutorial questioning techniques
- Encouraging student participation in tutorials
- Assessment and marking
- Groupwork as a form of assessment
- Teaching strategies for new environments
- Creating and using rubrics
- Authentic assessment
Useful External Resources
Generating Engagement and Participation (Faculty of Economics and Commerce, University of Melbourne)
A unique teaching resource on the web, this site provides footage of real-life small group classes to demonstrate effective questioning strategies and group discussion.
Leading Discussions (Derek Bok Centre, Harvard University)
This comprehensive guide to leading discussions provides practical advice on preparing for class including tips on using questions.