View some of the slides from our past workshops including the domestic and international visitor series.
- 2019 Induction to Teaching in FBE
2018 WCLA Symposium
On 2 October 2018, the WCLA hosted its 2018 Symposium titled "Rethinking Assessment and Academic Integrity in Business Education"
Please find below the presentations prepared by the guest speakers of this year's Symposium.
- Welcome - Professor Angela Paladino (WCLA)
- Rethinking assessment design: Learnings from Achievement Matters (Keynote Speaker: Professor Phil Hancock, UWA)
- Designing authentic assessments for academic integrity (Dr Angelito Calma, Dr Camille Dickson-Deane and Ms Miriam Edwards - WCLA)
- Enhancing the Academic Integrity of our Assessment (Herk Kailis & Robbie Russo - Cadmus Founders)
FBE’s Teaching Innovations:
- Economics Summer Math Intensive 2018 (Mr Daniel Tiong, Economics)
- Using online quizzes, polls and sharing tools to improve student engagement in Business Analysis and Decision Making Subjects (Dr Lusheng Shao - Management & Marketing)
- Young Alumni "Crucible" Video Case Studies (Dr Franz Wohlgezogen - Management & Marketing
- Closing Prerequisite Knowledge Gaps. What pre-existing knowledge are students bringing to QM2? (Dr Wasana Karunarathne, Dr Camille Dickson-Deane & Dr Valerie Cotronei-Baird)
- Engaging Students with Experiential Learning and Gamification (Prof Michael Davern & Mr Matt Dyki)
- Flipping Large Classroom (Dr Georgy Artemov)
- Applying a Threshold Concept Approach to the Design and Teaching of International HRM (Dr Jennifer Gao)
International Visitor - Dr. Cigdem Talgar (Associate Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning at Northeastern University)
Dr. Cigdem Talgar is a cognitive psychologist, learning scientist, and a leader in higher education who is committed to evolving university approaches to uniquely prepare learners to succeed in a changing world. She earned her Ph.D. from New York University in Experimental Psychology where she focused her research on understanding the mechanisms mediating attention. As the Associate Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning at Northeastern University, Cigdem's portfolio includes leadership of the Self-Authored Integrated Learning (SAIL) initiative, the Academic Assessment Group, the Research Institute for Experiential Learning Science and the Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning Through Research. Together, these efforts are focused on integrating the teaching and learning landscape at the university for educators and learners alike to ensure that Northeastern’s signature experiential learning model permeates all facets of Northeastern life.
Workshop Slides - Experiential Learning: Priori Knowledge Integration
Seminar Slides - Institutional design for an Experiential Mindset
Domestic Visitor - Mr Scott Copeland
Scott Copeland is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Commerce at the University of South Australia Business School and is course coordinator for a large first year financial accounting course. Scott has served as a member of the Business School Teaching and Learning Committee.
Scott’s academic career has focussed on the development of high quality and engaging courses for first year accounting students studying on-campus, in distance mode and internationally.
2017 Innovative Assessment Showcase
The WCLA and MCSHE presented a joint seminar to showcase diverse forms of assessment that are implemented successfully across the university.
Associate Professor Sandra Milligan - Assessment: large scale and automated assessment
Professor David A Williams - The search for quality summative assessment at ‘Scale’
Dr Laura Dooley - Delivering individual assessment feedback to student inboxes
2017 WCLA Symposium
On 26 October 2017, the WCLA hosted its 2017 Symposium with a focus on responses to a changing landscape in business education. Please find below some of the powerpoint presentations prepared by the guest speakers of this year's edition of the Symposium.
- "Reflection, Evidence, Recognition, and Progression: Closing the Loop on Learning & Teaching" by Professor Michael Martin (Australian National University)
- "Skills in Demand, on Demand. New Credentials for New - and not so new - Careers" by Professor Beverley Oliver (Deakin University)
- "The Development and use of Customised Simulations to Drive Student Engagement" by Associate Professor Albi Brooks
- "Games for Critical Thinking" by Professor Jeff Borland
- "Customised Online Program of financial Statement Data Analysis" by Mr Noel Boys and Associate Professor Albie Brooks
- "Robot Traders for Flexemarkets - Lego Mindstorms for Algorithmic Trading" by Dr Nitin Yadav and Professor Peter Bossaerts
- Dr Andi Pekarek - WCLA 2017 Symposium
- "Enhancing Actuarial students’ study efficiency and practical work ability" by Dr Ping Chen & Professor Mark Joshi
- "Warm up Case and Dialogue" - by Dr Franz Wohlgezogen