Using Technology to Promote Student Engagement: Hands-on Workshop
Engagement in the Classroom Masterclass Series
This event has now passed. To view upcoming events please visit the Workshop Calendar at https://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/wcla/workshop-calendar.
This workshop will introduce technologies aimed at increasing student engagement within the classroom and online. Various tools and strategies will be discussed. Participants will have the opportunity to experience these tools from the student perspective while considering the implications for their teaching. Opportunities and challenges relating to such practice will be discussed.
Participation in this workshop includes membership in an online learning community (Blackboard community site) to access the tools and relevant information. Participants will be asked to visit this site prior to the workshop.
This workshop will allow you to:
- Experience asynchronous communication (text and media-based) from a student’s perspective
- Discuss the application of such tools to complement face-to-face teaching
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these tools
- List the potential expectations of lecturers and students using these tools
- Outline how such tools could complement an LMS teaching site
Shala Ahmed (Management and Marketing) will be sharing her experiences in using some of these technologies with her students.
Facilitator: Miriam Edwards