Business Education Writing Retreat
Treacy Centre 126 The Avenue Melbourne, Victoria 3052
Business Education Writing Retreat
This inaugural business education writing retreat is targeted to academics wishing to be inspired and/or receive guidance about evidencing business education practice and impact of their teaching. The day is led by two experienced and internationally respected editors of each discipline’s top education research outlets. The sessions will be relevant to all disciplines across FBE, from accounting, finance, economics, through to management and marketing academics at all stages of their careers. This day provides a unique opportunity for academics to immerse themselves in the writing process, away from campus distractions and surrounded by like-minded peers.
Session One: Professor Victoria L. Crittenden (Via Zoom)
Victoria L. Crittenden is Professor of Marketing and Peter M. Black Endowed Faculty Scholar at Babson College (USA). Vicky is editor of the Journal of Marketing Education. Her research interests are vast but focus currently on entrepreneurship, digitalization, direct selling, and teaching & learning. She has published in many journals, which are focused on marketing theory and practice, marketing science, business research and psychology and marketing. Vicky received the AMS CUTCO/Vector Distinguished Marketing Educator Award in 2021, the AMA Higher Ed SIG Lifetime Achievement Award in 2021, and the Circle of Honor award from the Direct Selling Education Foundation in 2019.
- Examination of necessary rigor underpinning successful SoTL
- Discuss topical examples of SoTL that could appear in our journals.
- Engage in an ideation exercise, utilising our training in crafting scholarly works.
- The session will end with writing tips to facilitate smoother peer-review processes.
Session Two: Led by Professor Tine Köhler (In person)
Tine Köhler is Professor for International Management at the University of Melbourne. Her research interests include cross-cultural management, cross-cultural communication and coordination, group processes, qualitative research methods, research design, meta-analysis, and regression. She frequently focuses on teaching and learning related themes. Her work has been published in a vast array of Management, Educational, Psychology centred journals. Dr Köhler is Co-Editor-in Chief at ORM and previously held Associate Editor roles at ORM and AMLE. She serves on the editorial boards of AMLE, Journal of Management Education SGR, Journal of Management Studies, Research Methods in Strategy and Management, and Journal of Management Scientific Reports.
- General advice for publishing teaching and learning related work.
- Exploring how writing TLE papers is both similar and different from writing research papers on different topics.
- Implications for quantitative versus qualitative empirical works as well as conceptual papers in TLE.
- Providing feedback to participants on their own idea.
- Those who already have an idea should provide a 1000-word summary to email@example.com by May 24, to enable Tine to provide feedback on the day. Others can bring their work from the morning session of the writing retreat and summarize their budding idea during the session for some initial feedback.
Please register by no later than May 24th
Venue: Treacy Centre
126 The Avenue Melbourne Victoria 3052 Australia
Location and travel guidance can be found from here: www.treacycentre.com.au
The centre is a 15-minute walk from main campus and can also be reached in 5 minutes via tram.