- Apply the theory you learn in class to solve existing business challenges with the BCom Case Competition
- Represent the University of Melbourne and compete with other student teams from across the world to solve a business case at an International Case Competition
- Do you have a great idea for a StartUp? Pitch your idea at the UniMelb StartUp for your chance to win seed-funding to get your project off the ground
BCom Case Competition 2020
It offers an opportunity for you to test your business case solving skills, receive training from and network with corporate sponsors and get hands-on experience as a management consultant. Plus the opportunity to win amazing prizes including a share in $5,000 cash, guaranteed interview for the International Case Competition program, and a guaranteed interview for SPP's graduate/internship program.
Who can apply?
Teams consist of four students enrolled in the Bachelor of Commerce, 2nd year and above including Honours.
Click here for the Rules and Regulations
How do I apply?
Applications have now closed for the 2019 BComp.
Key dates for 2020
Monday 20 July Online applications open at 9am Thursday 30 July Information Session 1 (including optional team mixer), 12pm - 1:30pm Wednesday 5 August Information Session 2 (including optional team mixer), 12pm - 1:30pm Sunday 9 August Online applications close at 11:59pm Monday 10 August Launch Case Workshop for all registered participants, 6:30pm - 7:30pm. First Case released. Monday 17 August First Case submission deadline at 9am sharp Wednesday 19 August First Case results communicated Friday 21 August Crack The Case Workshop for top 15 teams, 6pm - 8pm. Second Case released. Saturday 22 & Sunday 23 August Second Case preparation and mentoring from International Case Competition alumni Monday 24 August Case Competition Day (Preliminary and Final Rounds), 1pm - 8:30pm
Click ‘interested’ on the Facebook event and you will be kept up-to-date will all event details!
Information Session 1
Date: Thursday, 30 July 2020
Time: 12:00pm - 1.30pm
Place: To be confirmed
Registration link coming soon!
Information Session 2
Date: Wednesday 5 August 2020
Time: 12:00pm - 1.30pm
Place: To be confirmed
Registration link coming soon!
Thanks to our 2019 BComp Sponsors
SPP (Principal Sponsor)
SPP is a high-impact consulting firm that partners with senior executives to overcome complex strategic and operational challenges. From high-growth SMEs to to some of Australia's largest businesses, SPP works closely with clients across a broad range of sectors to deliver practical results with a tangible outcome. SPP brings a customer-focused, nimble and highly skilled team with a rigorous and consistent approach to projects to help clients improve and grow. Their work ranges from strategy development, market research, business case development, and inputs to policy, through to the implementation of organisational improvements. SPP has been a longstanding partner of the University of Melbourne through sponsorship of the University Case Competition, employment of undergraduates, as well as being a leading recruiter of MBAs from the Melbourne Business School.
UBS (Major Sponsor)
UBS provides financial advice and solutions to wealthy, institutional and corporate clients worldwide, as well as private clients in Switzerland. UBS' strategy is centered on our leading global wealth management business and our premier universal bank in Switzerland, enhanced by Asset Management and the Investment Bank. The bank focuses on businesses that have a strong competitive position in their targeted markets, are capital efficient, and have an attractive long-term structural growth or profitability outlook. Headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, UBS has offices in 52 countries, including all major financial centers, and employs approximately 60,000 people. UBS Group AG is the holding company of the UBS Group. Under Swiss company law, UBS Group AG is organized as an Aktiengesellschaft, a corporation that has issued shares of common stock to investors.
International Case Competitions 2020
The Faculty of Business and Economics attends some of the best International Case Competitions in the world. We have sent students to dozens of exciting destinations for almost two decades, and next year it could be you!
Destinations for 2019 included Auckland, Los Angeles, Segovia, Montreal and Seattle.
Read about previous student experiences in the FBE Newsroom.
Who Can Apply?
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be a current BCom student; and
- Have completed at least 75 credit points by the end of 2019; and
- Have at least 25 credit points remaining in your degree (including Honours) in Semester 1, 2020.
You MUST be available on Wednesday evenings and weekends for training from 24 November until the date of the competition that you are selected for.
How Do I Apply?
- Online applications open on Friday 30 August and must be submitted online by 11:59pm on Tuesday 24 September. An application form will be posted in the Apply Now section on the day.
- All applications will be assessed by a panel of academics and International Case Competition alumni.
- Results of the selection round will be communicated via email week commencing Tuesday 1 October.
- Interviews will take place on Friday 18 October. You must be available all day, as interview times will be randomly allocated.
Please note that you need only submit one application form to be considered for all competitions. If successful in your application and interview, you will be placed in a team designed for one specific competition/destination according to your team's strengths.
To complete your application, you will need to provide the following:
- Your resume - the file name should be: FamilyName_FirstName_StudentID_resume.pdf
- A current photo (face) - the file name should be: FamilyName_FirstName_StudentID_photo.jpeg
- A statement of your results from my.unimelb - the file name should be: FamilyName_FirstName_StudentID_results.pdf
- A two to three minute interview stream video response to the following questions (you must access the application form for specific details for this requirement)
(a) Why you would like to participate in the ICC program? (approx 30 seconds)
(b) What is the strongest technical skill you bring to ICC (e.g., financial analysis, strategy development) and why you believe this? (approx. 1 minute)
(c) What is the strongest soft skill you bring to ICC (e.g., public speaking, developing slide decks, team work, leadership, etc.) and why you believe this? (approx. 1 minute)
(d) If you’re successful in your ICC application, what is an area (this can be a technical or soft skill) that you feel you need further development in. (approx 30 seconds)
Note: If shortlisted or selected to compete in an International Case Competition, you must be available for the following period:
- Interview day - Friday 18 October
- Orientation Day - Saturday 23 November
- A three-month training program on Wednesdays (from 6pm), Saturdays and Sundays over the summer vacation, commencing on Sunday 24 November (except the University holiday period; 20 December - 3 January)
Costs & Payments
All accommodation for every competition is paid for by the Faculty of Business and Economics. Participating students also receive a bursary which covers the cost of flights and sundries.
Information sessions for ICC 2020 have now passed.
Applications for ICC 2020 have now closed. This program will run again in 2021.
If you have any questions about ICC 2020 please send an email to email@example.com.
UniMelb StartUp 2019
Pitch your winning business idea in the UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition for a chance to win some amazing prizes and receive feedback that could help turn your idea into reality! This program is as much a competition as it is a learning experience. Whether or not you have a start-up idea in mind, we encourage all students across the University to take part in at least the first stage of the competition.
The 2019 competition was proudly supported and sponsored by entrepreneurship experts from the Faculty of Business and Economics, Melbourne Business School, Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship, Academy Xi and Melbourne Accelerator Program and has since concluded. Check back here in 2020 for updates on the next iteration of this competition.