About our databases
Research databases are provided for research students and staff of the Faculty of Business and Economics. These can all be accessed in the FBE Research Databases Facility, Upper Ground South (Graduate Space), Giblin Eunson Library. See below for brief descriptions of some of the databases.
Note: Use of the electronic resources made available by the Faculty of Business and Economics is restricted by licence to members of the Faculty community for the purposes of research, teaching and study. Commercial use and systematic downloading, copying or distributing of information are expressly prohibited. Users are individually responsible for compliance with these terms.
Other databases are available through the Giblin Eunson Library and can be accessed from any PC with Internet access. Note that user authentication is required when accessed off campus.
Bloomberg Professional® data service is a real-time financial information network. This online database provides flexible access to the complete financial database for use in custom applications, real time prices, history, news, analytics and research for global financial markets. Bloomberg Professional® data service collects data for 3.7 million securities across all markets worldwide. The markets covered include government and corporate bonds, mortgage, money-market, indices, currency, commodities and equities.
DATASTREAM - Thomson Reuters (Financial)
DataStream contains international financial, economic, stock market and company data, including coverage of equities, stock market and bond indices, economic statistics, foreign exchange rates, interest rates, fixed income instruments and derivatives.
Extensive worldwide economic data for governments and international organizations such as the IMF and OECD also are included. Information can be displayed and analyzed statistically against user-defined criteria and downloaded to a spreadsheet.
ASSET4 ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) data is now available on Datastream - company-level social responsibility data on ~4,000 companies worldwide.
IRESS provides a range of information about Australian and New Zealand equities and equity derivative markets including:
- real time ASX, NZSX, options market and SFE quotes
- full market depth information
- news and company reports
- market summary information (top movers, market capitalisation, index contribution)
- comprehensive historical time series database
- powerful and historical and real-time charting capabilities
- integration with other applications (e.g. Excel)
SDC Platinum™ - Thomson Reuters (Financial)
SDC Platinum™ is a collection of databases with information on financial transactions. SDC Platinum™ offers an extensive query and report database for the private equity industry and buyout financing.
Collection of databases includes:
- SDC Global New Issues
- SDC Mergers & Acquisitions
- SDC VentureXpert
- SDC Corporate Restructurings
SIRCA Data Services
SIRCA Data Services provide access to collection of databases via the Gateway platform.
The databases collection includes
- Australian Equities Tick History (AETH)
A full tick history of the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) equities, options and warrants markets, recording every trade, including volume of each order and executed trade back to 1991.
- Corporate Governance
Includes SIRCA curated dataset for Australian listed companies covering directors, board committees, auditors, insider holdings, executive & director compensation & substantial shareholders.
- ASX End of Day Price
ASX Full Order Book information starting from 1997 till April 2016, ASX End of Day data covering 2014-2016.
- Australian Company Announcements (ACA)
Morningstar Announcements package includes daily ASX announcement feeds, announcements on periodic financial reports including market sensitive announcements.
- Company Fundamentals
Includes extensive coverage of more than 670 standard data points for all financial line items. Data is sourced from Morningstar directly from company balance sheets, income statements, statements of cash flows.
WRDS Data Services
Wharton Research Data Services, or WRDS, is a comprehensive web-based data management system that allows easy retrieval of information from a wide variety of financial, economic, and marketing data sources. WRDS provides historical financial data, as well as stock market indices, bond prices and interest rates, mutual fund and stock ownership information, options data, and a wide array of macroeconomic time series.
COMPUSTAT - S & P Capital IQ
COMPUSTAT (from S & P Capital IQ) provides more than 300 annual and 100 quarterly Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows, and supplemental data items on more than 24,000 publicly held US companies.
- Compustat Historical Segment Files
- Compustat Annual Backdata (1962-1981)
- Compustat Annual Company Data (1982)
- Compustat Monthly Prices Earnings & Dividends
- Compustat Daily Prices Earnings & Dividends
- Compustat Bank
- Compustat Global
- Compustat Emerging Markets (Legacy file only, to 2011)
The COMPUSTAT databases can be accessed via WRDS
CRSP - Centre for Research in Security Prices
The Centre for Research in Security Prices, University of Chicago , maintains the most comprehensive collection of security price, return, and volume data for the NYSE, AMEX and Nasdaq stock markets. Additional CRSP files provide stock indices, beta- and cap-based portfolio, treasury bond and risk-free rates.
- CRSP Daily and Monthly US Stock Database
- CRSP US Indices Database
- CRSP US Monthly Treasury Database
- CRSP Mutual Funds
The CRSP databases can be accessed via WRDS
- ABS Time Series Statistics Plus
- ABS National Accounts (Annual)
- ABS State Accounts (Annual)
- ABS Labour Force Statistics
- ABS Demographic Statistics
- ABS Treasury Model Database
- RBA Bulletin Database
- RBA Australian Economic Statistics
- RBA Preliminary Annual Database
- IC Australian Manufacturing and Trade
New Zealand Databases
- New Zealand Time Series Database
- OEDC Main Economic Indicators
- OEDC Economic Outlook
- OEDC Quarterly National Accounts
- World Bank World Tables
- Penn World Tables
- IMF International Financial Statistics
I/B/E/S - International Broker Estimate System
I/B/E/S (Institutional Broker Estimate System) provides consensus and detail forecasts from security analysts, including earnings per share, revenue, cash flow, long-term growth projections and stock recommendations.
- I/B/E/S US Detail History
- I/B/E/S INTERNATIONAL Detail History
- I/B/E/S US Summary History
- I/B/E/S INTERNATIONAL Summary History
- I/B/E/S on DataStream
The I/B/E/S databases can be accessed via WRDS
MERGENT Fixed Income Securities Database (FISD)
A comprehensive database of publicly-offered U.S. Bonds. FISD covers over 100,000 corporate, U.S. Agency, U.S. Treasury and supranational debt securities and includes more than 400 fields or data items. FISD provides details on debt issues and the issuers, as well as transactions by insurance companies. It is used to research market trends, deal structures, issuer capital structures and other areas of fixed income debt research.
Some relevant databases available through the Giblin Eunson Library.
- Annual Reports Collection (Connect4)
- Boardroom (Connect 4)
- Business Source Complete
- Company 360
- Company Prospectuses (Connect 4)
- DatAnalysis Premium
- Economists Online
- EIU Country Data & Global Forecasting
- Expert Reports (Connect 4)
- Hoover's Company Profiles
- IMF eLibrary
- MarketLine Advantage
- Mergers & Acquisitions (Connect4)
- Mint Global
- National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Papers
- OECD Economic Surveys
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN)