Faculty of Business and Economics
Department of Finance
- Born and raised in U.S. Now a dual citizen.
- BA cum laude (Harvard) 1966. Reporter for The Washington Post in 1965 and 1966. Served in U.S. Army 1966-1971.
- Corporate lending officer at Citibank in New York, 1971-1975.
- Investment banker, at Morgan Stanley, Prudential Securities and Dean Witter, 1975-1991. Specialized in financial institutions and cross-border merger advice. Two years in London. Six months in Bahrain helping Kuwaiti clients start United Gulf Bank. Advised FDIC on resolution of Continental Illinois and other major transactions.
- Senior officer at FDIC, 1991-1994. Established division that resolved 266 failing banks. Significant interaction with Congress, industry and the press on policy issues. Advisory missions to Venezuela and Indonesia.
- Helped establish China International Capital Corporation, an investment banking joint venture between Morgan Stanley and Chinese Government, 1994-1997. Two years in Beijing as chief executive.
- Vice chairman of Morgan Stanley Asia, 1998-2003. Established financial institutions group, based in Hong Kong. Capital raisings and merger work. Advised governments of China, Japan, Korea and Thailand.
- Chairman of Morgan Stanley Australia, 2003-2007.
- Non-executive director of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, 2007 to present. Chairman of risk committee.
- Member of Court of Directors of Bank of England, 2009-2012.
- Chairman, Better Place Australia, 2009-2013.
- Chairman, NBN Co, 2010-2013.
- LLD honoris causa (Monash) 2011.
- Consulting work for governments of Canada and Singapore.
- Director of Financial Services Volunteer Corps, 2000-2012. Advisory missions to Egypt and Indonesia.
- Speeches and opinion pieces about financial system and governance issues. Published Partners – love is a law unto itself, a collection of romantic stories, in 2013.