Professor W. (Warner) Max Corden is Emeritus Professor of International Economics of Johns Hopkins University, and has been a Professorial Fellow in the Department of Economics of the University of Melbourne since July 2002.
He is an Honorary Foreign Member of the American Economic Association, a Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia, and a Fellow of the British Academy. He is also a Distinguished Fellow of the Economic Society in Australia, and has been President of the Economic Society of Australia and a member of the Group of Thirty. In January 2001 he was appointed a Companion of the Order of Australia.
Research Interests and Main Publications
Over an academic career spanning more than forty years, Max Corden has published numerous articles and several books, mostly in the field of international economics, both theory and policy. He is best known for his work on the theory of trade protection. His research interests have also included the macroeconomic policies of developing countries, and economic policy in Australia.
He is the author of The Theory of Protection (1971), Trade Policy and Economic Welfare (1974, 1997), Inflation, Exchange Rates and the World Economy (1977, 1985), Protection, Trade and Growth (1985), International Trade Theory and Policy (1992), Economic Policy, Exchange Rates and the International System (1994), and the Road to Reform (1997).
His most recent book is Too Sensational: On the Choice of Exchange Rate Regimes (2002).
Publications from 2001
- Ambulance Economics: The Pros and Cons of Fiscal Stimuli (2009) (PDF File 54.2 KB)
- China's Current Account Surplus (2009) (PDF File 68.3 KB)
- Global Imbalances and the Paradox of Thrift (2011) (PDF File 284.9 KB)
- Indian Exchange Rate Regime (2008) (PDF File 23.9 KB)
- The Asian Crisis A Perspective after Ten Years (2007) (PDF File 84.7 KB)
- The Dutch Disease in Australia (2012) (PDF File 293.4 KB)
- The Global Imbalances: What is the Problem? (The Wincott Lecture, 2007/2008) (PDF File 47.0 KB)
- The Theory of the Fiscal Stimulus (2009) (PDF File 183.8 KB)
- The World Credit Crisis: Understanding it, and What to Do (2008) (PDF File 68.0 KB)
- Those Current Account Imbalances: A Sceptical View (The World Economy, 2007) (PDF File 123.2 KB)
- 40 Million Aussies: The Immigration Debate Revisited (2003) (PDF File 113.7 KB)
- Australian Monetary Policy (Review of book by Ian Macfarlane, 2007) (PDF File 27.7 KB)
- Australian Universities: Moscow on the Molonglo (Quadrant 2005) (PDF File 90.6 KB)
- History of Melbourne University Economics Department (book review, 2010) (PDF File 24.1 KB)
- The Uncertain Future of Australian Universities (2005) (PDF File 109.0 KB)
- An Essay in Bobology (about Robert Gregory, 2006) (PDF File 29.6 KB)
- Corden on Harry Johnson's View of the Scientific Enterprise (2001) (PDF File 28.0 KB)
- Effective Protection and I (2005) (PDF File 65.1 KB)
- Fred Gruen (Biographical essay, 2006) (PDF File 25.3 KB)
- Harry Gordon Johnson 1923-1977 (The One and Only Harry, 2004) (PDF File 34.3 KB)