The Centre for Workplace Leadership is dedicated to excellence in leadership research, improving the quality of leadership in Australian workplaces, and developing individual leaders. We aim to bridge the gap between research insights and leadership practice.
Workplace bullying creates a toxic environment, but the #MeToo movement is highlighting the drivers of abuse that women experience at work.
Dr Victor Sojo and Professor Cordelia Fine publish thought-provoking article in The Lancet special issue on advancing women in science, medicine and global health.
What is the chance the last tin of tuna you ate was made using slave labour? If it came from Thailand, the odds may be a lot higher than you imagine.
With everyone abuzz about the future of work what does it actually mean for you? Our panel of experts broke it down as part of the Future of Work: People, Performance, Innovation event program
We currently have no upcoming events scheduled.
See the University's events calendar for more options.
The Centre for Workplace Leadership undertakes research that helps organisations lead workplace innovation and performance across the value chain. Our work sits within three intersecting themes:
Leading Operational Excellence Across the Supply Chain
Managing and sustaining operational excellence within the organisation and across extended supply chain networks poses considerable leadership challenges as well as opportunities for all types of organisations.View
Leading the Organisation and its People
Organisations across all industry sectors are adopting new business models, restructuring their operations, offering different products and services, and applying new technologies that are profoundly reshaping the organisation of work and jobs.View
Leading Market Performance
The ways in which organisations create value for customers is changing rapidly as firms experiment with co-creation business models and allow increasing external participation in the value creation process.View
At the Centre for Workplace Leadership, we believe in knowledge that works.
Study of Australian Leadership
The Study of Australian Leadership (SAL) is a national survey that provides a comprehensive picture of leadership in Australian organisations.
Custom Leadership Programs
We create leadership development programs that produce meaningful impact for individuals and their organisations.
LEADERSHIFT® is an online leadership assessment and development tool that will transform Australian workplaces.
Our free resources provide you with the essential ingredients to create a higher performance workplace.
The Centre for Workplace Leadership: dedicated to leadership research, improving the quality of leadership in Australian workplaces, and developing leaders.
Welcome from the Centre Director
Welcome to the Centre for Workplace Leadership
Our mission is to produce knowledge that works in ‘real-world’ situations based on issues and challenges that face all Australian workplaces and leaders.
Our Vision is to develop world-class leadership capability in Australian organisations, working collaboratively at all levels to create productive, innovative and competitive outcomes.
- We believe in the power of knowledge and new ideas to transform leadership
- We strive to be thought leaders in the area of leadership and workplace innovation
- We are committed to working collaboratively with industry, government and academia
- We have a public purpose
We work with government, large companies, Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and entrepreneurs in cities, regions and rural areas, on workplace leadership challenges.
Our research focuses on
- Building the capability of frontline leadership
- Creating and sustaining a high performance workplace culture
- Transforming workplaces through technology and workplace innovation
- Workplace leadership for the future
Through our research
- We share and translate Australian and global research insights on the leadership capabilities necessary for Australian organisations to meet critical leadership challenges such as globalisation, digital disruption, virtual teams, demographic change and the Asian century
- We raise awareness of new ideas and Australian and international best practice on leadership
- We add to the global body of knowledge on organisational dynamics and leadership success
- We identify the leadership barriers to adoption of high performance work practices, innovation and productivity
- We assess current leadership capability in Australian organisations and identify gaps and development needs
- We create resources that are widely available and used by managers and organisations
Through our work with organisations
- We help individual organisations, managers and teams meet organisational and innovation challenges, and work more effectively
- We identify practices that can best help leaders tackle workplace challenges and harness their capacity to innovate and grow
- We make evidence-based recommendations
- We provide practical case studies and diagnostic tools that can be used by other workplaces
- We help managers develop emerging and future leaders
- We develop frontline and middle management leadership skills
Through our work with Government
- We make evidence-based recommendations on policies, frameworks and measures to help Australian organisations be more productive, innovative and better places to work
Sources of support
The Centre for Workplace Leadership was established in 2013 as a joint initiative supported by the Federal Government and the University of Melbourne’s Faculty of Business and Economics.