Become a BCom Peer Mentor
Becoming a Peer Mentor in the Faculty of Business and Economics is an exciting opportunity to give back to the Faculty and wider University community. We all remember what it is like to be a new student - all the nerves and excitement! As a mentor, you will be able to help commencing students navigate their first semester by providing support, sharing your knowledge and helping to create connections between brand new students.
Being a mentor is a special role within the Faculty, and enables you to make a real difference in the lives of new students who will value your experience and commitment. We encourage you to apply if you are up for a challenging and very rewarding experience!
- Help new students find their feet in the first few months of their university journey
- Gain leadership training and experience, the opportunity to learn about yourself, grow as a person and develop and practice the art of listening and problem solving
- Become eligible for a digital credential from the new Melbourne Plus program and demonstrate your people leadership to future employers
- Develop your interpersonal, communication and group facilitation skills
- Make new friends and meet new people from a variety of backgrounds
- Gain a deeper understanding of cultural differences and diversity
If you're in your first year and looking to connect with a mentor, visit Your Mentor and Adviser.
“Being part of the Melbourne Peer Mentor Program has been one of the highlights of my time in the university. Through the program, I have been able to grow both professionally and socially and inspire the incoming university students. My team had lot of fun taking part in the GooseChase Challenges and this helped us get closer to each other. The workshops offered by the Student Life team has helped me become a better mentor. I strongly believe that this program has helped students navigate various challenges as they continue to live, work and study in Melbourne.”
- Jenslie George, BCom student
How can I become a Melbourne Peer Mentor?
To become a peer mentor, you will need to be:
- A current University of Melbourne student
- In good academic standing (no academic misconduct or at risk)
- Able to attend compulsory training and Orientation
- Able to commit to at least 20 hours of volunteering throughout the year
- If you are a graduate student, priority will be given to those who have completed a degree at the University of Melbourne, or in a commerce degree at another institution
- Experience as a mentor (in MPMP or another program)
- Experience as a mentee (in MPMP or another program)
- Participation in extra-curricular activities
- Clubs/societies membership
As a peer mentor, you’ll need to commit to approximately 20 hours of volunteering, including:
- 30-minute online training module
- Two-hour online group training
- Leading 5 group sessions with your mentees
- Maintaining regular contact with your mentees between sessions
- Actively promote and attend program social events throughout the semester
- Providing feedback via surveys and focus groups as required
How to apply
Apply now to become a Melbourne Peer Mentor for Semester 1, 2023. This application round will be open until 11.59pm AEDT, Sunday 9 October.
Your Student Life team is here to ensure you have all the information you need to make the most out of your time at the Faculty of Business and Economics.