Pitch your business idea to a panel of experts for the chance to win some amazing prizes and receive feedback to help turn your dream into a reality.
About UniMelb StartUp
The UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition aims to activate an entrepreneurial mindset within the University’s student community. It provides students a unique opportunity to learn to develop and test a startup idea. Team up with budding entrepreneurs from across the University and learn from experts and mentors from the startup world. There will also be prizes up for grabs!
This program is as much a competition as it is a learning experience. Whether or not you have a start-up idea in mind, we encourage all students across the University to take part in the program’s workshops. Full training and support will be provided and no prior experience is required.
“The 2021 UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition was full of bright people coming to grips with the prospects of an increasingly grim future, and we were just one of the climate-focused groups that happened to form.”
- PLOT, 2021 UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition winner
Who can apply?
All current University of Melbourne students are eligible to enter, except for MBA (including dual degrees), Executive MBA, Senior Executive MBA and Master of Entrepreneurship students.
- Team size must be between two and six members.
- Teams must not submit an idea that is operating as a going concern by the members (this includes operating under a business incubator or accelerator), at the time of registration.
- Where the proposed business model is the same as, or sufficiently similar to, an existing business model, acknowledgement and full disclosure must be made, with justification for differentiation. We expect teams to complete a thorough competitor analysis before entering.
- Selection criteria includes consideration of team disciplinary mix. It is strongly advised that teams include members from multiple faculties, disciplines, or skill sets.
- The program will be delivered online and is open to students currently residing within and outside Australia.
Please refer to the US21 Competition Handbook for details on the competition structure and rules. Participation in this competition is subject to the acceptance of the competition’s Terms & Conditions outlined in the handbook. Please ensure all team members have read these.
For enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UniMelb StartUp 2021 Pitch Competition has concluded. Details on the 2022 competition will be announced in February 2022.
GoDaddy – the place to go to get your business idea online.
From domain names and matching email, to website building tool - Websites + Marketing - and website hosting and security, GoDaddy empower more than 20 million customers to succeed online.
Melbourne Accelerator Program (MAP)
Launched in 2012, the Melbourne Accelerator Program (MAP) is a startup accelerator based within the University of Melbourne. Each year, MAP accepts 10 startups for a 5-month program to help grow and scale their business, and has supported over 100 startups.
Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship
Established in 2015, Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship is a leading centre for entrepreneurial training, delivering immersive education programs to accelerate learning, creation and connection.
2021 Competition Prizes
2021 UniMelb StartUp participants received a discount on GoDaddy’s products, plus support and mentorship from startup experts.
Thanks to GoDaddy, the winning team shared in $2k as well as $250 worth of GoDaddy products to help them set up and succeed online.
In addition, the winning team received a Startup prize package sponsored by MAP:
- Up to 2 founder places in MAP’s Velocity Program (valued at $500 each); OR
- 1 month of hot desking at the new Melbourne Connect supported by 4 x 30-minute coaching slots from the MAP Program Manager/MAP Founder.
2nd Place - for each team member
- 1 year of membership to MasterClass
3rd Place - for each team member
- 1 UniMelb branded hoodie