Pitch your business idea to a panel of experts for the chance to win some amazing prizes and receive feedback to help turn your dream into a reality.
About UniMelb StartUp
The UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition aims to activate an entrepreneurial mindset within the University’s student community. It provides students a unique opportunity to learn to develop and test a startup idea. Team up with budding entrepreneurs from across the University and learn from experts and mentors from the startup world. There will also be prizes up for grabs!
This program is as much a competition as it is a learning experience. Whether or not you have a start-up idea in mind, we encourage all students across the University to take part in the program’s workshops.
You must be a current University of Melbourne student to participate and can register as a team or as an individual. Full training and support will be provided and no prior experience is required.
The 2020 competition was proudly supported and sponsored by entrepreneurship experts from the Faculty of Business and Economics, Melbourne Business School, Melbourne Accelerator Program, Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship, and Academy Xi.
“I would certainly encourage any students considering entering the UniMelb StartUp competition to do so. It is a fantastic program that provides a solid foundation for your entrepreneurship journey, with the workshops alone having proved invaluable to my understanding of the entrepreneurship space.”
Christian Gashi, 2020 UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition winner
Who can apply?
All current University of Melbourne students are eligible to enter, except for MBA (including dual degrees), Executive MBA, Senior Executive MBA and Master of Entrepreneurship students.
- Team size must be between two and four members.
- Teams must not submit an idea that is operating as a going concern by the members (this includes operating under a business incubator or accelerator), at the time of registration.
- Where the proposed business model is the same as, or sufficiently similar to, an existing business model, acknowledgement and full disclosure must be made, with justification for differentiation. We expect teams to complete a thorough competitor analysis before entering.
- Selection criteria includes consideration of team disciplinary mix. It is strongly advised that teams include members from multiple faculties, disciplines, or skill sets.
Please refer to the US20 Competition Handbook for details on the competition structure and rules. Participation in this competition is subject to the acceptance of the competition’s Terms & Conditions outlined in the handbook. Please ensure all team members have read these before registering.
The UniMelb StartUp 2020 Pitch Competition has concluded.
Registrations for 2021 opens on Monday 15 February.
2020 Key Dates
|Online Registrations Open||Monday 17 August 2020||10:00am||Submit your Expression of Interest|
|Online Registrations Close||Sunday 30 August||11:59pm||Deadline to submit your Expression of Interest|
|US20 Event Launch||Thursday 3 September 2020||5:15pm – 6:15pm||Hear from inspiring entrepreneurs and learn about the structure of the competition in more detail. There will a Q&A session too.|
|Virtual Bootcamp – Workshop 1||Tuesday 8 September 2020||5:30pm – 7:30 pm||Virtual Bootcamp|
|Virtual Bootcamp – Workshop 2||Thursday 10 September 2020||5:30pm – 7:30 pm||Virtual Bootcamp|
|Virtual Bootcamp – Workshop 3||Tuesday 15 September 2020||5:30pm – 7:30 pm||Virtual Bootcamp|
|Virtual Bootcamp – Workshop 4||Thursday 17 September 2020||5:30pm – 7:30 pm||Virtual Bootcamp|
|Mentor Drop-In Session||Monday 21 - Friday 25 September 2020||By appointment||Receive guidance and support from experienced entrepreneurs to refine your team's business idea|
|Preliminary Video Pitch due||Sunday 27 September 2020||11:59pm||Submit your video pitch for assessment by a panel of judges|
|Consultations with mentor||Tuesday 6 - Tuesday 13 October||By appointment||Finalists will be able to consult with a mentor to prepare for their final pitch|
|Finals||Friday 16 October 2020||5:30pm – 8:00 pm||Finalists to present their final pitch to a panel of entrepreneurs and industry experts|
2020 Competition Prizes
1st prize - for each team member of the winning team
- Receive a Free online foundation course from Academy Xi valued at $900 each
- Work in the surrounds of other entrepreneurial minded people with the opportunity to Hotdesk for 1 month within the Melbourne Accelerator Program (MAP) office once the new Melbourne Connect is up and running, post COVID-19 restrictions
- Receive a Wade Institute Entrepreneurship Award 2020 - a 6 hour mentoring package by Wade Institute to support the winning team into their next phase of their entrepreneurial journey
2nd Prize – for each team member
- $500 Academy Xi course credit voucher
- 1 x University of Melbourne branded hoodie
3rd Prize- for each team member
- $200 Academy Xi course credit voucher
- 1 x University of Melbourne branded hoodie