The University of Melbourne Assessment Policy states that:
- Students are entitled to, and should expect to receive feedback.
- Written feedback should indicate to students how they have performed against assessment criteria and indicate how a student can improve their performance, ideally indicating what specifically should be done to achieve outstanding and/or improved results.
It is important to focus on providing students with positive comments and comments on how to do things differently in the future in a constructive manner.
- Include comments about the student’s work and provide them with an indication of the relative quality of their work.
- Explain what was done well, and/or not well, often in reference to the Assessment Criteria and any other articulated expectations.
- Be constructive and provide helpful guidelines for a better performance next time.