Minimum Entry Requirements
The following are minimum entry requirements and do not guarantee entry:
- The equivalent of an Australian four year honours degree in an area that is relevant to the research degree being applied for, usually with a research component that accounts for at least 25% of the work at fourth year or master's level, OR
- a bachelor degree in a relevant or cognate discipline and a relevant postgraduate degree OR;
- a combination of qualifications considered by the University's Research Higher Degrees Committee to be equivalent to an Australian honours degree AND;
- Applicants are required to provide results of the GMAT/GRE; AND
- Current knowledge of the discipline in which the research degree will be undertaken, demonstrated by completion of tertiary studies and/or relevant professional experience in the 10 years prior to intended entry to the program.
Please note: Doctoral program applicants without any prior research training must complete a
25-point Research Report subject in the first year of the program in order to proceed to year 2.
Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements are:
|Master of Commerce – Actuarial Studies||H2B 70-74%*|
|Doctoral and PhD programs– all disciplines|
*The equivalent of these grades at the University of Melbourne are required
All applicants are required to submit a research proposal, see below for specific program requirements:
|GMAT/GRE results||Research Proposal|
|Accounting||GMAT||100 word proposal as part of CV|
1000 word research proposal
|Decision, Risk and Financial Science||GMAT or GRE||100 word proposal as part of CV|
|Economics||GRE||100 word proposal as part of CV|
|Finance||GMAT or GRE||100 word proposal as part of CV|
|Management & Marketing||GMAT or GRE|
1000 word research proposal
For more information on the GMAT or GRE please visit our FAQs.
As part of the application for the doctoral program in the Department of Management and Marketing, please read these Management and Marketing research proposal guidelines.
English Language Requirements
Applicants from countries where English is not the official language or the language of institutional instruction and assessment must provide evidence of English language proficiency.
|Doctor of Philosophy||Masters by Research|
|IELTS||Overall 7.0 with 7.0 in writing|
No band lower than 6.0
No band less than 6.0
|TOEFL (paper-based)||600 and 5.0 in Test of Written English (TWE)||577 and 4.5 in Test of Written English (TWE)|
|TOEFL (internet-based)||94, with writing 27; speaking 18; reading 13; listening 13||79, with writing 21; speaking 18; reading 13; listening 13|
|TOEFL (computer-based)||Minimum score of 250 and score of 5.0 in the essay rating||Minimum score of 233 and score of 5.0 in the essay rating.|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic)||65 and a written communicative skill of 65 and no other communicative skill below 50||58-64 inclusive and no communicative skill below 50|
Applicants may be provisionally offered a place in the program on the condition they attain the required minimum English proficiency level before commencing the program.