Career Mentoring Program
This program has successfully matched many hundreds of graduate and undergraduate students from the Faculty of Business and Economics with business professionals in a mentoring partnership. Participating students are linked with mentors based on their shared interests, course of study, and area of specialty.
The program aims to assist you with your transition out of university into the workforce and to involve members of industry in a mutually beneficial partnership. A mentor may be able to provide you with information on industries, professions, and general work skills as well as advice and support with career direction, networking, skills assessment, job hunting/applications. Partners of accounting firms, directors of management consultancies, bankers, senior public servants and many other professionals have been offering valuable insights into the world of commerce to the Faculty's students.
Benefits of participating
You have the opportunity to:
- Better understand your skills, motivations and career preferences
- Identify and develop your career strategy
- Learn about different professions and industries
- Increase your networking circle
- Develop your communication, presentation and networking skills
- Improve your CV and your interviewing technique
How do I apply?
Applications for the 2017 FBE Career Mentoring Program have now closed.
Information regarding the 2018 program will be posted in early 2018.
The Matching Process
Because of the popularity of the program the student selection process is competitive. Students must progress through a screening process to ensure their suitability for the program. We also ask the mentors to register online to ensure we understand their background, experience and skills in order for us to begin the matching process.
When matching mentors and mentees, we look at areas of study, professional experience, and interest areas of both individuals and try to match accordingly.
Please note: Selection of students to participate in the Career Mentoring Program is at the discretion of the Faculty of Business and Economics.
The Faculty of Business and Economics has the right to, at its sole discretion, terminate or revoke the invitation to the mentor or mentee.
Applications open 16th Mar 2017 and close 26th Mar 2017.
The program runs on a yearly cycle from April until October with the approximate time-frames as follows:
- 16 - 26 March - Online applications open
- 16 - 23 March - Mentoring information sessions (compulsory attendance if you wish to apply).
- Mid April - Students will be notified about their application
- Mid April - Career Mentoring Program launch - successful students are informed about their match and can initiate their first meeting
- July/August - Mentoring networking event
- 23 October - Career Mentoring Program Mentoring concludes and end of formal mentoring partnerships.
Please note, there is no mid-year intake for either mentees or mentors.
If you have any further questions about this program please contact us.
03 9035 6707