The Faculty of Business and Economics is pleased to announce the launch of this year's UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition where participants will have the opportunity to pitch their startup idea to a panel of Australia's most prominent Angel Investors and Industry Experts for feedback and prizes!
This year's competition is chaired by internet marketing and social media expert Dr Brent Coker, and is proudly supported and sponsored by entrepreneurship experts from Melbourne Business School, Wade Institute and Australian Trade and Investment Commission's Landing Pads in San Francisco.
Prizes and Speakers
This year we are pleased to be able to offer winning teams up to $6k in seed funding as well as an opportunity for finalists to apply for a month-long Entrepreneurship Program in San Francisco valued at $32,000!
Participants will also have access to three preparatory seminars and workshops delivered by entrepreneurship experts Professor Colin McLeod (Program Director, Master of Entrepreneurship) and Dr Marcus Powe (Mentor, Wade Institute) to help you and your team prepare for your pitch and the competition in general, read on to find out more!
The UniMelb StartUp Pitch Competition is as much a competition as it is a learning experience. Whether or not you have a start-up idea in mind, we encourage all students across the University who are interested in entrepreneurship to take part in at least the first stage of the program:
- Meet like minded individuals at the Mixer Nights - this is a great place to meet others to form a team or even join a team that is looking for someone with your unique skills! Multi-disciplinary teams are seen as an advantage so try to create your very own 'super-team'!
- Learn about start-ups through the free seminars and workshops delivered by experts.
- Form a team of up to 4 members (try to form a multi-disciplinary team) and submit your proposal which will be assessed by a panel of experts.
- The top 10 submissions will progress to the preliminary round.
- The top 5 teams that make it through the preliminary round will progress to the Finals.
- The top 3 teams that make it through the Finals will receive seed-funding to the value of: $3,000 (first place); $2,000 (second place); $1,000 (third place)
- All finalists (top 5 teams) will be eligible to apply for the Entrepreneurship Program hosted by Landing Pads in San Francisco valued at $32,000!
1. Express your interest in joining any of the competition stages listed above
2. Read the Competition Handbook for participation details (including eligibility and participation requirements)
3. Register to attend a mixer night to meet other participants or form a team:
4. Register to attend Preparatory Seminar 1: Customer Validation
5. Register to attend Preparatory Seminar 2: Product Market Fit
6. Register your team and submit your proposal (applications close Sunday, 10 September)
Please refer to team eligibility and proposal criteria in the handbook in Step 2 before completing this step. This form should only be completed by the Team Leader on behalf of the entire team. You will be asked to provide information about your team members - please ensure that you have the following information on hand for all team members before starting your application:
Please refer to the Competition Handbook for further information about the competition such as: eligibility, key dates, proposal requirements, the entrepreneurship program and judging criteria.
The UniMelb StartUp ‘17 Competition is proudly supported by:
Who is this for?
If you have any further questions about this program please contact us.
Enrichment Services Coordinator