Global Management Consulting - January
- About Global Management Consulting
MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting is a third year capstone subject that gives you the opportunity to gain industry experience in an international setting. You could be spending two weeks in an overseas city, working on a genuine business challenge with your peers.
The January program visits Bangkok and San Francisco.
Global Management Consulting allows Bachelor of Commerce students to:
- Develop practical business competencies in an international setting;
- Link with companies on projects related to their discipline;
- Experience the culture, society and business practices first hand whilst applying your business and management skills.
- Important dates
Please take note of the following important dates:
Activity Date Applications open: Monday 31 July 2017 Applications close: Sunday 27 August 2017 Applicants shortlisted and group interviews take place: Between week 6 – 8 Semester 2, 2017 Earliest date for applicants to know the outcome of the selection process: Friday 15 September 2017 Deposit due: Friday 22 September 2017 Briefing Session: Wednesday 4 October 2017 Compulsory pre-departure seminar: Monday 20 November 2017 In-country dates: Bangkok: Monday 15 January – Wednesday 31 January 2018 San Francisco: Friday 19 January – Saturday 3 February 2018
Please be advised that the above dates may be subject to change.
Please note that these dates are compulsory and all students who are given an offer for the Global Management Consulting program are expected to participate in all of these activities. If you know in advance that you won’t be able to commit to one or more of these dates, it’s best that you don't apply.
- How much will it cost?
In addition to the standard University subject tuition fee, there is an additional cost of approximately $1600 for Global Management Consulting. The exact cost is publicised once accommodation has been booked and students will be advised accordingly.
What is included?
- 13 - 15 nights bed and breakfast accommodation (in min. 3* equivalent accommodation based on a twin share, air-conditioned, ensuite room.)
- Local transportation
- Sightseeing/cultural tour
- The University of Melbourne complimentary standard travel insurance.
What is NOT included?
- International airfare
- Lunch, dinner and spending money
- Visa (if required)
- Additional personal insurance
- Funding the subject
The following funding options are available to eligible students.
Name of Award or Scholarship
Melbourne Global Scholars Award
$1,000 Melbourne Global Scholars Award from Melbourne Scholarships. The grant is awarded to eligible students on the basis of academic merit. There is no need to apply until you have been selected into the subject.
Faculty of Business and Economics Travel Award
4 x $1,500 FBE Travel Awards given to the most impressive applicants for the subject. Selection criteria is based on academic average, CV and interview. No application is required as all applicants will be considered. Selected students will be notified of the grant at the same time as the offer for a place in the subject.
The John D. and Dagnija Balmford Travel Grant
Available through the generosity of John D. and Dagnija Balmford to support financially disadvantaged 2nd or 3rd year students who will undertake Global Management Consulting.
2 grants valued at $3,000 each (or half the NAI arising from the trust- UTR 6.384) will be awarded each year.
To be eligible applicants must:
- be domestic students;
- have completed at least 175 points (requirement of the subject below) of the Bachelor of Commerce;
- be enrolled in the 2nd year or 3rd year of the Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Accounting;
- have completed an application for MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting (this grant can only be awarded to students who have been successful in securing a place);
- demonstrate financial need.
Submit an on-line application to undertake MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting. Students must also submit a separate application for the Balmford Grant (available in the "Apply Now" section below), which will include:
- providing evidence of financial need (*as defined by Access Melbourne requirements)
- submitting an Impact statement (maximum 500 words) on how the potential travel grant could impact their ability to participate in a global experience program
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview for selection into the subject MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting.
Selection will be based on academic merit, interview performance and financial hardship.
Outcome of Application
Successful candidates will be contacted via email.
*Disadvantaged financial background
- You are in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (such as Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance etc), or
- Your parents are in receipt of Family Tax Benefit A, or
- You are able to demonstrate how your disadvantaged financial background has affected you.
New Colombo Plan Scholarship
The New Colombo Plan (NCP) Scholarship supports Australian undergraduates to study and intern in the Indo-Pacific region. The program is open to Australian undergraduates aged 18-28 currently studying at Australian universities.
There is no separate application process and eligible students are awarded automatically after they have been given an offer for the Global Management Consulting program. Eligibility requirements are:
- You must be an Australian citizen;
- You must be aged between18 and 28 (as at 1 January 2018);
- You must be in at least your second year of undergraduate study;
- You must have an academic average of at least 70%; and
- You must be travelling to an approved NCP destination.
To find out more about the NCP Scholarship please click here.
Click here to view a short video about a team of University of Melbourne NCP recipients who undertook Global Management Consulting in Thailand!
OS-HELP loans are available to students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) in a degree course who want to undertake part of their study overseas.
Financial Aid is a valuable resource for students - they can assist with budgeting, advice on different sources of funding, and loan funds to students with zero interest and flexible repayment options to support this program.
- Who should submit an application?
Global Management Consulting is available as an elective to all Bachelor of Commerce students from all majors or as part of the management major.
We are looking for a diverse group of students who will be ambassadors for the University of Melbourne. Entry is competitive as there are only 20 places available for each location. The below criteria should help you determine whether you would be a strong candidate for Global Management Consulting:
Your Weighted Average Mark (WAM) is 65% or higher. Due to limited spaces, entry into Global Management Consulting is competitive. The minimum average grade requirement is 65% and the Selection Committee considers the following when allocating places: Academic Performance and overall WAM
- Quality of CV and personal statement
- Interview performance
- An overall match of skills, experience and interests to the available project
Note: WAM is calculated based on current enrolled University of Melbourne degree only. If you have transferred from another program or university which may have affected your WAM please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
You have completed:
- A minimum of 175 points total accumulated at the commencement of the subject
- MGMT20001 Organisational Behaviour
- You have not previously taken MGMT30012 Management Consulting or MGMT30017 Global Management Consulting.
- Information Sessions
To help you decide if this program is right for you, come along to our Global Management Consulting Information Session where you can meet the travelling academics, listen to previous Global Management Consulting students talk about their experiences and ask questions about the program.
Please come along to one of the following sessions:
Wednesday 16 August
5.15pm - 6.15pm
Theatre 3, Alan Gilbert Building
Register here for this information session
Tuesday 22 August 2017
12.00pm – 1.00pm
Level 1 Theatre, The Spot Building
Register here for this information session
- Apply now!
Global Management Consulting Application
Applications for the January Global Management Consulting program are open from Monday 31 July 2017 until midnight Sunday 27 August 2017.
Click the button below to access the application form.Global Management Consulting Application
Balmford Travel Grant
Students majoring in Accounting who meet the eligibility criteria for the Balmford Travel Grant (please see 'Funding the Subject' for more information) please apply via the button below after you have submitted your Global Management Consulting application.Balmford Travel Grant Application
Good luck with your application!
The Willis News
The Willis News is a Bi-annual magazine for the Work Integrated Learning programs offered through the Faculty of Business and Economics.
Applications open 31st Jul 2017 and close 27th Aug 2017.
Who is this for?
If you have any further questions about this program please contact us.
Industry Programs Consultant