First In the Family Scholarships
The First in the Family Scholarships are awarded to Bachelor of Commerce students who will be the first in their family to attend university and who have experienced disadvantage.
- $10,000 annually for the normal duration of studies in Bachelor of Commerce (three years)
- Recipients will automatically be admitted into the Abernethy Scholars Program. This program provides an academic mentoring opportunity with Professor Margaret Abernethy, Sir Douglas Copland Chair of Commerce and former Dean of the Faculty of Business and Economics
- The beneficiaries will also be given priority consideration for residency at Ormond College.
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be students who will be the first in their family to attend university. Applicants are required to complete a Statutory Declaration indicating that no members of their immediate family (parents, grandparents or siblings) have been awarded a qualification from a university.
- You can include a letter of recommendation from your principal or careers adviser to support your Statutory Declaration.
- The Statutory Declaration and any letters of support must be uploaded with your application. Applications without a Statutory Declaration will not be considered.
- Not have a previous university qualification
- Meet the criteria and be eligible for the Access Melbourne Scheme
- Agree to participate in publicity and events to acknowledge and thank donors to the First in the Family Fund.
- Candidates must apply for the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).
- Candidates must also submit an application for the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) via VTAC.
- Candidates must lodge their application for the scholarship with the Faculty and provide a Statutory Declaration which states: "No members of my immediate family (parents, grandparents or siblings) have been awarded a qualification from a university."
Please note: VTAC applications open Monday 7 August 2017 at 9:00am
Please note: VTAC timely course applications close Thursday 28 September 2017 at 5:00pm
Please note: SEAS applications close Tuesday 10 October 2017 at 5:00pm
Please note: ATAR and VCE results are released Friday 15 December 2017 at 7:00am
Selection is based on academic merit as demonstrated by ATAR or equivalent, information provided in your SEAS application and other information about course preferences provided by VTAC at the time of selection. The selection committee will not have access to change of course preference information.
Outcome of application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by email
- Unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted
No deferral is allowed.
Who is this for?
If you have any further questions about this scholarship please contact us.
FBE Scholarships Team