First In the Family Scholarships
The First in the Family Scholarships are awarded to Bachelor of Commerce students who will be the first in their family to attend university and who have experienced disadvantage.
- $10,000 annually for the normal duration of studies in Bachelor of Commerce (three years)
- Recipients will automatically be admitted into the Abernethy Scholars Program. This program provides an academic mentoring opportunity with Professor Margaret Abernethy, Sir Douglas Copland Chair of Commerce and former Dean of the Faculty of Business and Economics
To be eligible applicants must:
- Apply to commence the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne in 2018 through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC)
- Submit an application for the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) via VTAC
- Meet the criteria and be eligible for the Access Melbourne Scheme
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be students who will be the first in their family to attend university
- Not have a previous university qualification
Please note: VTAC applications open Monday 7 August 2017 at 9:00am
Please note: VTAC timely course applications close Thursday 28 September 2017 at 5:00pm
Please note: SEAS applications close Tuesday 10 October 2017 at 5:00pm
Please note: ATAR and VCE results are released Friday 15 December 2017 at 7:00am
- Candidates must lodge their application for the scholarship with the Faculty
- Provide a Statutory Declaration which states: "No members of my immediate family (parents, grandparents or siblings) have been awarded a qualification from a university."
- You can include a letter of recommendation from your principal or careers adviser to support your Statutory Declaration.
- The Statutory Declaration and any letters of support must be uploaded with your application. Applications without a Statutory Declaration will not be considered.
Selection is based on academic merit as demonstrated by ATAR or equivalent, information provided in your SEAS application and information about course preferences provided by VTAC at the time of selection. The selection committee will not have access to change of course preference information.
Applications open 17th Aug 2017 and close 10th Jan 2018.
Outcome of application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by email around mid February 2018
- Unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted
No deferral is allowed.
Who is this for?
If you have any further questions about this scholarship please contact us.