Summary of the Centre Associates' research outputs in leading academic publications in Australia and abroad.
Books and Book Chapters
- Hu, H & Alon, I 2014, ‘Are Chinese CEOs Stewards or Agents? Revisiting the Agency-Stewardship Debate’, in V Kumar & C Pattnaik (eds), Emerging Market Firms in the Global Economy, International Finance Review, Volume 15, pp. 255 – 277.
- Alon, I, Hu, H & Adithipyangkul, P 2014, ‘Corporate Social Responsibility in Hong Kong SAR: An Empirical Analysis’, in J Li & L Wang (eds), China’s Economic Dynamics: A Beijing Consensus in The Making?, Routledge, New York, pp. 326 – 346.
- Hu, H & Tan, M 2012, ‘Corporate Governance and Initial Public Offering in Australia’, in A Zattoni & W Judge, Corporate Governance and Initial Public Offerings, Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 37-63.
- Tam, O & Hu, H 2006, ‘Supervisory Boards in Chinese Corporate Governance’, in L Ho & R Ash (eds), China, Hong Kong and The World Economy: Study on Globalization, Palgrave-Macmillan, New York, pp. 327 – 347.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Abernethy, MA, Yu Flora, K, & Bo, Q 2015, 'The Influence of CEO Power on Compensation Contract Design', Accounting Review, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1265-1306.
- Akyol, A, Adams, R & Verwijmeren, P (Forthcoming) Director Skill Sets, Journal of Financial Economics.
- Akyol, A, Konrad, R & Patrick, V (Forthcoming) The Elimination of Broker Voting in Director Elections, Finance Research Letters.
- Akyol, A, Cooper, T, Meoli, M & Mismara, S 2014, ‘Do Regulatory Changes Affect IPO Underpricing?’, Journal of Banking and Finance, no. 45, pp. 43-58.
- Akyol, A & Cohen, L 2013, ‘Who Chooses Board Members?’, Advances in Financial Economics vol. 16, pp. 43-75.
- Akyol, A, Lim, W & Verwijmeren, P 2012, ‘Shareholders in the Boardroom: Wealth Effects of the SEC’s Rule to Facilitate Director Nominations’, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, vol. 47, pp. 1029-1057.
- Akyol, A, Lim, W & Verwijmeren, P 2012, ‘Governance Characteristics and the Market Reaction to the SEC’s Proxy Access Rule’, International Review of Finance, vol. 12, no.5, pp. 175-195.
- Dang, CM, Fargher, N & Lee, G (Forthcoming), ‘Audit Quality for US-listed Chinese Companies’, International Journal of Auditing.
- Gow, I, Armstrong, C & Larcker, D 2013 ‘The Efficacy of Shareholder Voting: Evidence from Equity Compensation Plans’, Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 51, pp. 909-950.
- Hooghiemstra, R, Kuang, YF, & Qin, B 2015, 'Say-on-Pay Votes: The Role of the Media', European Accounting Review, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 753-778.
- Hooghiemstra, R, Kuang, Yu Flora and Qin, Bo 2017, ‘Does Obfuscating Excessive CEO Pay Work? The Influence of Remuneration Report Readability on Say-on-Pay Votes’, Accounting and Business Research, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 695-729.
- Hu, H & Cui, L 2014, ‘Outward Foreign Direct Investment of Publicly Listed Firms from China: A Corporate Governance Perspective’, International Business Review, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 750-760.
- Lee, G and N, Fargher 2013, ‘Companies’ Use of Whistle-Blowing to Detect Fraud: An Examination of Corporate Whistle-Blowing Policies’, Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 283–295.
- Judge, W, Hu, H, Gabrielsson, J, Talaulicar, T, Witt, M, Zattoni, A, Lopez, F, Chen, J, Shukla, D, Quttainah, M, Adegbite, E, Rivas, J, & Kibler, B 2015, ‘Configurations of Capacity for Change in Entrepreneurial Threshold Firms: Imprinting and Strategic Choice Perspectives’, Journal of Management Studies, vol. 52, no.4, pp. 506-530.
- Judge, W, Witt, M, Zattoni, A, Talaulicar, T, Chen, J, Lewellyn, K, Hu, H, Shukla, D, Bell, G, Gabrielsson, J, Lopez, F, Yamak, S, Fassin, Y, McCarthy, D, Rivas, J, Fainshmidt, S, & Van Ees, H 2015, ‘Corporate Governance and IPO Underpricing in A Cross-National Sample: A Multilevel Knowledge-Based View’, Strategic Management Journal, vol. 36, no.8, pp. 1174-1185.
- Jung, HW, & Subramanian, A 2017, 'CEO talent, CEO compensation, and product market competition', Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 48-71.
- Schantl, S (Forthcoming) Analyst Information Acquisition and the Relative Informativeness of Analyst Forecasts and Managed Earnings, Accounting and Business Research.
- Soderstrom, N, Li, C & Luo, J 2017, ‘Market Response to Regulatory Costs Related to Haze’, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 201 – 219.
- Sun, P, Hu, H & Hillman, A 2016, ‘The Dark Side of Board Political Capital: Enabling Blockholder Rent Appropriation’, Academy of Management Journal, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1801-1822.
- Yoshikawa, T & Hu, H 2017, ‘Organizational Citizenship Behaviors of Directors: An Integrated Framework of Director Role-identity and Boardroom Structure’, Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 99 – 109.
- Yuan, Q, & Zhang, Y 2016, 'The real effects of corporate fraud: evidence from class action lawsuits', Accounting & Finance, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 879-911.
- Zattoni, A, Judge, W, Lewellyn, K, Talaulicar, T, Bell, R, Chen, J, Kohli, N, Witt, M, Hu, H, Shukla, D, Gabrielsson, J, Quttainah, M, Lopez, F, Yamak, S, Ruigrok, W, Fassin, Y, Adegbite, E, Puffer, S, Rivas, J, Fainshmidt, S & Van Ees, H (Forthcoming) ‘Does Board Independence Influence Financial Performance in IPO Firms? The Moderating Role of the National Business System’, Journal of World Business.